10/17/14

"What's cooler than being cool?" A Journalistic review of Iceage's "Plowing Into the Field of Love"


Iceage was a new listening experience to me. The frustrated and harsh sound in their new album Plowing Into the Field of Love was something that was abrasive at first, but with each consecutive listen I found myself liking the album more and more. The tracks go from metallic, complicated, depressing, to soft and sensitive; the album, most of all, is dynamic which provides a really attentive and unpredictable listening experience.


I’m not by any means an expert of this music style. Because of this, this album is more of an emotional listen rather than an objective one for me. Obviously it’s not something you can really sit down and relax to, but it’s rather something that you can sit down and feel and become involved with. Iceage reminds me of bands like Joy Division, or The Clash. Although I’ve liked those bands for a long time, I’ve never really explored their genres that much. Iceage’s Plowing Into the Field of Love has inspired me to step outside of my comfort zone and listen to this genre of music more.


The album itself is great. It alternates between tracks like, “On My Fingers,” which are in your face in the sweetest but most soured way, to tracks like “Against the Moon.” The album--now that I think about it-- is diverse and tasteful, and I can’t find a track that I didn’t like something about.


While I was first listening to Plowing Into the Field of Love someone overheard and commented how bad and unorganized it sounded. I feel like that’s something that a lot of people will have to overcome on a first listen. It’s not an album that you enjoy for it’s structure, it’s an album you enjoy for its exquisite chaos. It’s an album that makes you think.

Favorite Tracks: How Many, Forever, Against the Moon, Simony

Least Favorite Tracks: /
Plowing Into the field of Love
8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment