10/15/14

Spoon-They Want My Soul

            I apologize, because I think this will be a short review.  It’s not because I didn’t put my time into the album or anything, but what can I say?  Spoon made a damn good album.  Britt Daniel can write damn good songs.  At this point, knowing Spoon’s consistency over the years, I’m not sure what’s more to say.  Spoon hasn’t innovated much over the years, but they’re good at what they’re good at, and they keep delivering solid albums.

            The production is fantastically clean, and the addition of keyboards adds great elements to many songs.  Each of the songs serves a different device to flesh out the album thematically.  My one criticism would be that Spoon seems a little too devoted to their pop song formula.  All the songs are intricately arranged, but all seem to be too tightly constructed for any solos to sneak in.  It’s not much of a complaint, but I would have liked a guitar solo or two on some of these songs to allow the tracks to breathe.

            Spoon has mastered their own sound, and they continue to prove it on this record.  A couple of these tracks will eventually become Spoon classics (my vote’s for Rent I Pay and Do You), which will refresh the set list at Spoon’s live shows and keep them touring for three or four years.  Good album.


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment