10/17/14

Iceage- Plowing Into the Field of Love By Nimbi

Yet another not-in-the-slightest-expert analysis by Nimbi.

That’s right folks, Iceage is back for more, and this time, much less focused on the implications of global climate change on prehistoric animated animals.

(Okay, I’m going to be honest, before this, I’d never given these guys a listen before, so I can’t say much about this album in the context of the band’s budding career. Nor can I comment on the band’s historical roots, evolving sound, or any of the other stuff that makes music review people sound like cool, unappreciated scholars.)

However, I can say that Iceage’s new album Plowing into the Field of Love, is not only better than Continental Drift and The Meltdown combined, but also far more enjoyable than Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and about as good as the 2002 original movie Ice Age…so I hope that counts for something.

Maybe being previously unacquainted with this Danish band’s sound is what brings me to think this, but honestly, even as somebody who isn’t all that into punk, the album’s fresh blend of punk motifs and tasteful instrumentation really drew me in.

On My Fingers was an awesome song, my first introduction to the cool, gravely vocals that would carry effectively throughout the record.

I was never bored, and more often then not, surprised at the musical versatility that Iceage displayed in nearly every song. From jumpy, country rock influences evident in The Lord’s Favorite, to the Dionysian blur of Cimmerian Shade, even when I wasn’t digging the songs aesthetically speaking, I was repeatedly introduced to new musical flavors.

 Abundant Living’s instrumental blare, gritty guitar riff, and catchy tempo was a convincing showcase of the band’s talent for me, topped even further by Against the Moon, in my opinion, the most impressive track off the album, in which the band tried its hand at a slow-jam template with a dreamy backdrop laced with glassy piano and stinging lyrics:

I can fight it
Make it roam
But a fugitive has a tendency to return home

The lyrical work is extremely impressive in the sense that each song has an autonomous inspiration that adds to the comprehensive album. And furthermore, I didn't know punk rock could pull off a mandolin and horns this well, but apparently I know very little. Iceage has really redefined what a genuine punk album can look like, and for that I give these Danish boys a standing ovation. Overall, a really solid album, one that both surprised and impressed me, and ultimately fossilized Iceage’s powerful works into my music-listening landscape.

Favorite Track: Against the Moon
Least Favorite Track: Cimmerian Shade


7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment