4/21/15

Thoughts On Either Way-Wilco

Thoughts On Either Way by Wilco



Slap that play button...

Although it's not as widely critically acclaimed as a lot of Wilco's other works, Sky Blue Sky is an example of an album that has a lot of significance to me as a listener. It was an album that I had growing up, it was played while my mom cooked dinner, on sunny summer days when my family and I were just being lazy, and it was exclusively used by me on plane rides. There are a lot of tracks on the album that I have a ton of nostalgia and emotional attachment for, such as Impossible Germany, or Sky Blue Sky. However there is one song that I really want to focus on, the opener Either Way. It's always been my favorite, which probably is why I have always been so drawn to the rest of the tracks on the album. It's a very sweet, smooth, and flowing opening that naturally soothes the listener into the rest of the track list. I love the cradling guitar part, the light groove of the bass,  the breezing organ, and the soft kit. I love how the piano compliments Jeff Tweedy's relaxing vocals by having such a steady chord progression. It's a very layered and well orchestrated track --literally during the string addition-- that has an instrumental part that really compliments its lyrics. And I fell in love with it.

Either Way to me is a song that is compositionally patient. It takes it's time, and in doing so it's message is very strong, it's story and attitude very loving and kind. The entire song is incredibly thematic. The lyrics and instrumentals work hard together to convey its message in a way that is subtle, and when you take a step back to analyze it you can really appreciate it.

Lyrically the song, I will admit, is a bit corny. But never have I listened to something that has been so significant to me throughout the time it's been in my life. I can't help but be optimistic every time I hear it. This song has a way of going away, but then coming back when I really need it, and I've never really realized that until now. This is what is so amazing about the music I love, and why I'm so passionate about it. It's evocative of this emotion, it makes me feel human, like I'm alive with the goings on of the world. Music is an art that, like poetry, can grow and harbor so much personal significance to the listener. It can be empowering, crushing, enraging, calming, it's about how you feel about it. It's meaning entirely subjective.

Life is so complicated, and complex. That's why it's beautiful. You're going to be sad, you're going to be alone, but on the opposite ends of things you're going to be happy and you'll be surrounded by things and people that you love and that love you too. Sometimes things are worse, sometimes everything is better and that's okay. That's what makes life worth living, there's no point otherwise. Humans are irrational beings, we wouldn't love if we weren't. Embrace your imperfection. That's why I stay right here, where I am. That's what this song means to me.

To those of you who haven't heard this song, or are listening to it again, I hope you can find as much meaning as I did in it. If it's oppressively gloomy outside, or even if it's sunny, if life is good or bad, just remember that Either Way it'll be okay.

-Emanuel

Love is patient, love is kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment